Can you talk a developer down from adding 8 vCPU to their VM because it “just needs it”? Are you passionate enough to run the Active Directory BPA regularly because you like to see a clean report? Do you have a personal cloud strategy for your home pictures? Can you effectively make a case with the network team that they need to deploy 10GE to speed up your systems? Are you the “Tech Guru” that all of your friends go to whenever they have questions? Most importantly, are you interested in working with an incredible team to deploy cutting-edge technology to some amazing clients?
Xterra Solutions, Inc. is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to help with technology projects and day-to-day IT operations at our San Francisco location for clients in the Bay Area. You’ll be providing a broad range of systems engineering services, handling questions ranging from the standard “What’s the best backup strategy for me?” to “The SAN is down!”
If you love to work in a fast-paced and high-energy technical environment and want to be a part of a fun and diverse team with growth opportunities with excellent benefits, Xterra is the company you are looking for!
We are looking for that unique professional who thrives on solving problems and is excited about taking on new challenges, working with new clients, and keeping up with new technology. This position requires dedication, persistence, follow-up, effective time management, and unbeatable customer service with exceptional communication skills.
- Provide pre-sales engineering requirements gathering, design, and project scope documents.
- Define technology options based on project requirements and articulate the pros and cons of each option.
- Produce technical architecture plans, document requirements, systems design, implementation, and operations.
- Design, deploy and optimize new or changed systems infrastructure.
- Communicate project status while the project is in flight.
- Create complete and detailed project implementation plans including pre and post-implementation test plans.
- Operationalize and transition projects to the Service Delivery team to support and administer post-project implementation.
- Provide Tier 3 remote and on-site infrastructure support.
- Work with our remote monitoring and management (RMM) system to identify, prioritize, resolve problems, and enhance our service offerings to clients.
- Leverage our professional services automation (PSA) solution to manage support tickets, collaborate with internal staff, and communicate with clients.
- Respond to escalated support requests and provide expertise, advice, and troubleshooting.
- Address, document, and communicate the status of incidents, outages, ticket status, and problems, and escalate tickets appropriately.
- Identify critical issues, prioritize, and respond to tickets to ensure SLAs are met.
- Perform systems administration functions as needed.
- Train and stay current with technologies used in Xterra’s client environments.
- Deliver high levels of client satisfaction.
- Create high quality, complete technical documentation quickly and accurately.
- Provide after-hours and weekend support as needed.
- 7+ years of hands-on experience within a technical environment providing systems engineering.
- Incident & problem management experience and the ability to coordinate required resources to respond to complex IT issues.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to apply those skills to assist in troubleshooting of a wide range of information systems and applications.
- Experience with Desktop Applications (Office Suite, Visio, Adobe, etc) and Line of Business applications.
- Strong Engineering and Administration experience with:
- PowerShell scripting and automation.
- Security technology management at the endpoint and in the cloud.
- Azure IAAS and PAAS experience.
- Datacenter Management and administration experience
- VMware vSphere, ESXi, and Virtual Center in multi-host environments or equivalent.
- Windows Servers and Microsoft Active Directory / Group Policy, Azure AD, Intune, or equivalent.
- Server Platforms and Server Blade Management (Cisco UCS or HP preferred)
- Storage Area Network technology using iSCSI (Nimble preferred)
- Disaster Recovery & Data Protection (Veeam preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems Business Administration, Computer Science, a related field or equivalent work experience is required.
- Ability to follow established processes, document time entries, follow scheduled activities and escalate as appropriate.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Desire to consistently work as a vital part of the team with a primary focus on client service.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to analyze complex multivariate problems and use a systematic approach to gain quick resolution, occasionally under pressure.
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, and presentation skills to technical and business audiences.
- Assertive, highly motivated with the ability to convey a sense of urgency, with a positive attitude in getting the job done as a team.
- Proven aptitude to organize work in an efficient manner and succeed in a changing environment.
- Have reliable transportation to travel throughout the SF Bay Area to client sites.
- Background Check required
- Apple MacOS experience and management
- Microsoft Azure Cloud Management (relevant AWS experience acceptable)
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) experience using Intune or equivalent
- Understanding of Microsoft SQL from an infrastructure administrative perspective
- Microsoft Exchange Online and Office 365 management and migration experience
- Prior service delivery experience using service delivery methodologies such as ITIL
- CCNP, CNSE, MCSE, MCTS, or VCP Certifications
- Work in a consulting services environment or Enterprise IT Operations
- Ability to lead, motivate and direct a workgroup, and influence others to achieve results.
- ConnectWise PSA experience
- Experience with Desktop Packaging/Management
- Experience with Desktop Operating Systems (Windows 10 management with Group Policy or Intune)