Department: Managed Services
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Can you talk a developer down from adding 8 vCPU to their VM because it “just needs it”? Are you passionate enough to review the Azure Security Baselines because you want to know the current Best Practices around security in the cloud? Do you have a 3-2-1 backup strategy for your home pictures and files? Can you effectively collaborate with the network team to troubleshoot connectivity issues with your systems? Are you the “Tech Guru” that cheerfully helps your former colleagues when they have questions? Most importantly, are you interested in working with an incredible team to deploy cutting edge technology to some amazing clients?
Xterra Solutions, Inc. is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to help with technology projects and day-to-day IT operations at our San Francisco location to clients in the Bay Area. You’ll be providing a broad range of systems engineering services, handling questions ranging from the standard “What’s the best DR strategy for me?” to “Is the SAN down?”
If you’d love to work in a fast paced but structured technical environment and want to be a part of a fun and diverse team with growth opportunities with excellent benefits, Xterra is the company you are looking for.
We are looking for that unique professional who thrives on solving problems and is excited about taking on new challenges, working with new clients, helping their teammates, and keeping up with new technology. This position requires the ability to adopt a continuous learning mentality, dedication, persistence, effective time management, and high touch customer service with exceptional communication skills.
The Senior Systems Engineer reports to the Director of Engineering and has responsibilities that include defining, implementing, documenting, and optimizing systems infrastructure. This role helps clients meet their business objectives using technology. Responsible for both pre-sales design, post-sales engineering & implementation, and training the administrative team on how to operate and maintain technology. Also provides Tier 3 support for infrastructure and technical issues in providing service and resolving incidents for Xterra’s clients.
- Provide pre-sales engineering requirements gathering, design, and project scope documents.
- Define technology options based on project requirements and articulate the pros and cons of each option.
- Produce technical architecture plans, document requirements, systems design, implementation, and operations.
- Design, deploy, and optimize new or changed systems infrastructure.
- Communicate project status while the project is in flight.
- Create complete and detailed project implementation plans including pre and post implementation test plans.
- Operationalize and transition projects to the Service Delivery team to support and administer post project implementation.
- Provide Tier 3 remote and on-site infrastructure support.
- Work with our remote monitoring and management (RMM) system to identify, prioritize, resolve problems, and enhance our service offerings to clients.
- Leverage our professional services automation (PSA) solution to manage support tickets, collaborate with internal staff, and communicate with clients.
- Respond to escalated support requests and provide expertise, advice, and troubleshooting.
- Address, document, and communicate the status of incidents, outages, ticket status, problems, and escalate tickets appropriately.
- Identify critical issues, prioritize, and respond to tickets to ensure SLA’s are met.
- Perform systems administration functions as needed.
- Train and stay current with technologies used in Xterra’s client environments.
- Deliver high levels of client satisfaction.
- Create high quality, complete technical documentation quickly and accurately.
- Provide after-hours and weekend support as needed.
- 7+ years of hands-on experience within a technical environment providing systems engineering.
- Incident & problem management experience and the ability to coordinate required resources to respond to complex IT issues.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to apply those skills to assist troubleshooting of a wide range of information systems and applications.
- Experience with Desktop Applications (Office Suite, Visio, Adobe, etc) and Line of Business applications.
- Strong Engineering and Administration experience with:
- PowerShell scripting and automation.
- Security technology management at the endpoint and in the cloud.
- Azure IAAS and PAAS experience.
- Datacenter Management and administration experience.
- VMware vSphere, ESXi and Virtual Center in multi host environments or equivalent.
- Windows Servers and Microsoft Active Directory / Group Policy, Azure AD, Intune, or equivalent.
- Server Platforms and Server Blade Management (Cisco UCS or HP preferred).
- Storage Area Network technology using iSCSI (Nimble preferred).
- Disaster Recovery & Data Protection (Veeam preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems Business Administration, Computer Science, a related field or equivalent work experience is required.
- Ability to follow established processes, document time entries, follow scheduled activities, and escalate as appropriate.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Desire to consistently work as a vital part of the team with a primary focus on client service.
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to analyze complex multivariate problems and use a systematic approach to gain quick resolution, occasionally under pressure.
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, and presentation skills to technical and business audiences.
- Assertive, highly motivated with the ability to convey a sense of urgency, with a positive attitude in getting the job done as a team.
- Proven aptitude to organize work in an efficient manner and succeed in a changing environment.
- Background Check required.
- Apple MacOS experience and management.
- Microsoft Azure Cloud Management (relevant AWS experience acceptable).
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) experience using Intune or equivalent.
- Understanding of Microsoft SQL from an infrastructure administrative perspective.
- Microsoft Exchange Online and Office 365 management and migration experience.
- Prior service delivery experience using service delivery methodologies such as ITIL.
- CCNP, CNSE, MCSE, MCTS, or VCP Certifications.
- Work in a consulting services environment or Enterprise IT Operations.
- Ability to lead, motivate and direct a workgroup, and influence others to achieve results.
- ConnectWise PSA experience.
- Experience with Desktop Packaging/Management.
- Experience with Desktop Operating Systems (Windows 10 management with Group Policy or Intune).
About Xterra Solutions:
Our mission is to build a talented, fun, masterful engineering team to deliver excellence in IT services. This means that our purpose is to develop our people to be the best in the industry and to have fun doing it. Training, learning, and growing is a major part of working at Xterra.
We are a Managed Services company that delivers the highest possible level of technological expertise with an unwavering dedication to extraordinary service delivery. By providing smarter, sustainable, and resilient IT solutions, Xterra helps our clients be more productive while optimizing their IT investments.
Managed Services by Xterra includes: network management; data backup; data security; server hosting and support; asset management and procurement; and expert advisors and consultants for IT planning. Our Service Desk provides support for an extensive range of technologies, including servers, network equipment, user computing support, applications, printers and mobile devices.